Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Getting an associates degree in reproductive endicronology

Bare with the clinical side of this...
Relative potencies of anastrozole and letrozole to suppress estradiol in breast cancer patients undergoing ovarian stimulation before in vitro fertilization
Azim, A.A., et al. - Breast cancer patients undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (COH) for the purpose of oocyte or embryo cryopreservation who were stimulated with letrozole had lower mean estradiol levels than those who were stimulated with anastrozole Methodology
  • Breast cancer patients were stimulated with letrozole (n=47) or anastrozole (n=7) during COH
Results
  • The mean estradiol levels were higher in the group stimulated with anastrozole than the group stimulated with letrozole on the day before and day of oocyte retrieval (1325.89 and 2515 vs 427 and 714, respectively)
  • With the exception of estradiol levels, all other cycle parameters were similar between the two groups of patients (i.e., length of stimulation, total gonadotropin dose, number of mature follicles, and number of embryos cryopreserved)

Okay, yes I realize this study is based on other things but look at those E2 numbers in the Letrozole group! I have my fingers crossed that I have an estrogen spike by Friday/Saturday.Okay I have also found that Letrozole is big in the steroid community. Body builders use it to get rid of their moobs (man boobs) and to draw out the last bit of water before a competition. Okay like I care but I have some interesting numbers from a couple of their logs:
Letrozole (Femara) also does quite a few things which would be of interest to both bodybuilders and athletes. Firstly, it has been shown to reduce estrogen levels by 98% or greater (1). In at least one documented incidence, Letrozole (Femara) reduced estrogen in the test subject to undetectable levels, and increased LH, FSH and SHBG (4). Clearly this is all of interest to bodybuilders, as less estrogen in the body means less chance of certain side effects such as water-retention, Gynocomastia, and acne. This makes Letrozole (Femara) an appropriate choice for even the heaviest bulking or cutting cycles including harsh androgens. Also, if you are a competitive bodybuilder, Letrozole (Femara) is a must have product for contest prep; no other Ancillary compound will produce a dry and tight look like Letro will.

An effective dose of Letrozole (Femara) is .25-.5mg/day (I use .25mgs/day), but be forewarned, if you go over that amount, it can kill your sex drive. Also worth noting is that there´s a rebound effect on your estrogen when you come off Letrozol. Maximum inhibition of the aromatase enzyme has been found to happen at doses as low as 100mcg! (2)


Okay still following me? A 98% reduction in E2?? Very interesting. Kill my sex drive? ROFL, anyone experiencing IVF knows that for the most part the dildo cam gets more action than the husband (sorry hun, I do love you, my hormones are just shot). What excites me and I am praying for is that rebound effect when one comes off Letrozole. I took my last 2 pills last night. It has a 45 hour 1/2 life (so out of the system in 2-4 days). Theoretically if that is what is causing my E2 levels to be low, then 2-4 days after my last pills my estrogen levels should SPIKE (poor Randy). If (big if) I am correct (please let me be right here, for my ovaries sake) then someone needs to be shot for not explaining this to me before I left the clinic yesterday.

No comments: